This classic holiday treat is easy to make and fun to give away as gifts!
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar + more for rolling cookies
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground almonds (store-bought almond flour or almond meal works well)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cream butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla extract.
Blend in flour, salt and almonds until dough just holds together.
Chill the dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to make the dough easier to work with. You don't want it to chill too much or the butter will get too cold making it difficult to roll the dough into balls.
Roll into 1-inch balls and place an inch apart on baking sheets.
Bake 15 minutes or until the bottoms are just barely golden. These are meant to be pale.
Cool slightly. While still warm, roll in powdered sugar.
Cool completely and roll again in confectioners sugar.
If properly stored in an airtight container, these freshly baked cookies will last for a good 2 weeks at room temperature. Snowballs can be frozen—just be sure to place waxed paper between layers and thaw with the container lid on to avoid condensation. Re-roll in confectioners sugar once completely thawed and they'll be just fine.