- 1 cup vegan buttery sticks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend (Bob's Red Mill 1:1 GF flour is great)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract
- orange or lemon zest, spices (optional)
1) Cream the vegan "butter" and sugar until light and fluffy using a hand or stand mixer. Add the applesauce, extract and zest or spices (if you like). Mix until fully incorporated.
2) Add the gluten-free flour and salt to the wet ingredients and mix well until you reach a nice firm sugar cookie consistency—it should hold together, but not crack. If the dough seems too soft, add a bit more flour.
3) Divide the dough into two discs, wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours. Overnight is great. Gluten-free cookie dough tends to have a nicer texture the longer it sits.
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
5) Roll out the cookie dough to the desired thickness (1/4 inch is a good) on floured waxed paper or a pastry mat.
6) Cut out your cookies. Bake 2 inches apart for 10-12 minutes or just until the edges look a bit golden. Let cool completely.
Combine gluten-free confectioners' sugar & just boiled water until you get a spreadable consistency. Add food colouring or a coloured berry juice, if you like. Dip the cookies into the icing or spread it on with an icing spatula. Allow the cookies to dry completely before stacking them.