Eating seasonally means enjoying foods at its best—nutritionally and flavour-wise. And late summer/early fall is traditionally the richest time to enjoy local bounty. From garden tomato gazpacho to apple crumble, here are five local recipes to celebrate the glory of the changing seasons.
1. Umberto's Mushroom Pappardelle ~ Umberto Menghi, BC Living
Chef Umberto Menghi's mushroom and pappardelle is one of those autumnal dishes that takes the sting out of saying farewell to summer.
2. Glory Bowl ~ Shelley Adams, Whitewater Cooks
Harvest those beets and carrots for this hearty and scrumptious one-bowl meal.
3. Gazpacho: A Glorious Late Summertime Spanish Soup ~ EAT Magazine
If you’re a gardener and end up with a surplus of tomatoes, make gazpacho. This soup is all about garden fresh and is bursting with flavour.
4. Governor Tryon’s Humble Crumble Apple Pie ~ The Outlander Kitchen
A lightly sweet pie in a crisp, flaky crust and topped with a rich, nutty streusel. Ith gu leòir! (Eat plenty!)
5. Butternut Squash w/ Buckwheat Polenta & Tempura Lemon ~ Yotam Ottolenghi
Butternut squash flavoured with fragrant herbs and spices make for a fabulous fall meal.